The What Song Are You Listening To Thread

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
i_like_1981

Re: The What Song Are You Listening To Thread

Post by i_like_1981 »

Electric Light Orchestra - Hold on Tight (1981)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLmpL2AzLs
Very good song... one of the verses was sung in French in this one. Oh yes, people actually used their imagination back in the 80's, when the music was so much better.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Good song, and I enjoyed the video that went with it too(and that's saying alot these days).

I'd agree mainstream music has gone down the sink(which I don't listen to anyway). Too many kids putting out garbage these days. Lol, the irony its not that rare for singers who speak another language to incorporate English into their songs but the other way around is quite the opposite. And no I doubt they did it more in the 80s then now. My favorite songs have no words that go along with them anyway, but they're still awesome. :D

Another Video game song.
Chrono Cross Music - On the Beach of Dreams ~Another World~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4fzRK8Ze8&fmt=18
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Good song, and I enjoyed the video that went with it too(and that's saying alot these days).

I'd agree mainstream music has gone down the sink(which I don't listen to anyway). Too many kids putting out garbage these days. Lol, the irony its not that rare for singers who speak another language to incorporate English into their songs but the other way around is quite the opposite. And no I doubt they did it more in the 80s then now. My favorite songs have no words that go along with them anyway, but they're still awesome. :D

Another Video game song.
Chrono Cross Music - On the Beach of Dreams ~Another World~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4fzRK8Ze8&fmt=18
Oh yes, the 80's were most good for these quirky music videos. This one seems even older than 1981... but I like seeing the imagination of the bands. Better than just watching the band perform in the usual studio... videos offer the chance to use one's imagination and present the song in a memorable way! Accompanying music with visuals gives double the effect.

I don't know of a member on these boards who just goes along with whatever is new and trendy. After all, we aren't like everyone else, having chosen to not only dislike sports, but be vocal about it. Many people who have no interest for sports don't want to let anyone else hear about it for fear of being insulted with patronising and even homophobic slander. Shame, that some people are so discouraged from being able to speak their true mind nowadays. Mainstream music now is crap, that's definitely true. I can't stand any of the modern artists we have on the charts. Now they're just in it for the attention and money. Nobody makes anything decent any more. Well, you never hear anything decent on the charts now. I don't even know a single album on there at the moment and to be honest I don't want to. I don't want my old ways to be polluted by the trashy material of today's charts. Some of the artists today try so hard to emulate the 80's but the way I see it, they're only doing that because they can't devise their own ideas and have to rob from the times when everything was better.

Now then, I'm currently listening to The Human League - Love Action (I Believe in Love), from 1981:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHPRtRWqWg
I remember when you called me a blasphemer for not sticking with 1981 songs so I've been making sure to get in a fair few of those recently! After all, we all know what I like round here! :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Indurrago wrote:ROFL, you do realise I was kidding too. Of course I noticed your Avatar, and why else would I put up the same song with an extended version? :D
I didn't realise you were kidding, actually. :lol:

What I'm listening to?

All Hail Shadow (Sonic Next Gen version) - Crush 40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTsS7yftR7A

All hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again.
Obliterating everything that's not your friend.
Nothing can stop you now,
No ghost to bring you down.
When there's nothing left to lose, you win.

(Bow your heads low, all hail Shadow!)

Suffer long and it will set you free,
Only through trial do we find the strength we need.
It's never over, just another day.
Of hope and tragedies, and everything that comes our way.

Determination of the strong.
Found the meaning that you searched for so long.

All hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again.

Somewhere in chaos we all find ourselves.
This destruction is the only tale we tell.
White is black, and black is white,
Right is wrong, and wrong is right.
Nothing ever fills this hole inside your heart.

Determination of the strong.
Found the meaning that you searched for so long.

All hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again.

=INSTRUMENTAL=

All hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again.

Slightly better than the Magna-Fi (original) version, in my opinion.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Queen - Modern Times Rock N' Roll (1973)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNDtqcfjPpM
Well, that's the closest to "modern" music you'll ever see coming from me!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Not a song, but some relaxing music called Level H by Matthew Oates. You can listen to it here.

It's also the theme music of Mack & Mesh.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Skul wrote:Not a song, but some relaxing music called Level H by Matthew Oates. You can listen to it here.

It's also the theme music of Mack & Mesh.
That was absolutely beautiful!

I loved the video and the music.

Here's my payback!

This music is from Carl Sagan's COSMOS.

Guaranteed to send shivers up and down your spine and bring tears to your eyes.

You'll love these!

The music of Cosmos # Heaven and Hell - Vangelis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGv3TXpVWw8

Evolution Vangelis Alpha Cosmos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYRtwjFn ... re=related
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Rainbow - Since You Been Gone (1979)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtdW5bD-7Q
Lots of people say it's just cheesy but I think it's a classic. Old British rock, eh...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

David Bowie - Space Oddity (1969)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSYbRiYwTY
GREAT early Bowie material, the first hit he had.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

SmartSportsPerson
Sportsman

Post by SmartSportsPerson »

Take Me To The Ball Game. :wink:
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

SmartSportsPerson wrote:Take Me To The Ball Game. :wink:
Now how did I guess that? Is it just me or do the entire musical collections of all our sports bore members consist of that one song? It sure seems like it based on what I see here. Oh, and some shitty rap. GREAT!

Currently I'm listening to David Bowie - Oh! You Pretty Things (1971):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgQHZjAafo4
It's proving to be somewhat of a Bowie phase for me at the moment. Now compare his 1969 album Space Oddity to some of his later stuff from the 70's and 80's. There's diversity for you. Diversity that you just don't get from today's popular artists!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I'm listening to the new live Bad Religion album. They released it for free and on the Internet, not in record stores (see, I don't ever download my music, I actually go to record stores to buy my records/CDs and pay for them! It seems this is a dead practice) as a thank you to us fans and celebrating 30 years of the band being together. I woke up extremely early this morning to see if it was released, but sadly it wasn't, but when I got back from school, it was released. I love it! Not many people knew about it, and you could only get it by signing up by Email to get a confirmation code, and they're only keeping it for a short amount of time.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

This has always been a dilemma for me. Should I listen to new releases from an old band or should I just disregard any new releases they make? As you may expect, I go for the latter. I don't make exceptions. Anything from after 1989 certainly ain't one of mine!

I'm currently listening to... nothing. :lol: I just don't feel like it at the moment.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

i_like_1981 wrote:This has always been a dilemma for me. Should I listen to new releases from an old band or should I just disregard any new releases they make? As you may expect, I go for the latter. I don't make exceptions. Anything from after 1989 certainly ain't one of mine!

I'm currently listening to... nothing. :lol: I just don't feel like it at the moment.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
My favorite music is video game music, back in the 80s the music in games weren't that impressive because of the limited tech, although they had songs that had alot of charm. So sticking to the 80s would be a lost for me. I was born in very late of '88 so I'm more at home with 90s music. I love orchestrated music though, they have their own kind of charm. I've also grown an interest in music from other countries.

Shima Uta by The Boom
A 1992 song dedicated to and about Okinawans(people from the island of Okinawa of Japan) and how WW2 affected them. It's a rather sad but very moving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ggJquImms
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Ah, so you were born in late 1988. Well, I wouldn't expect you to remember the 80's, then. Although you were around for the end of them. I myself was born in mid-1981 so I do actually have some memories of the time. But they're quite few in number. Nonetheless, I still love the music from then and from before my time. I suppose I just don't have time for today's crap! (I'm sure you can agree with me on this - the mainstream stuff in the charts today is shockingly SHIT.)

So, at the moment I'm listening to Judas Priest - Living After Midnight (1980):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hs7zIyFRhg
A bit ironic I should like this one, as the lyrics are the complete opposite to my lifestyle. Nonetheless, great early 80's rock. I own the British Steel album, released 14 months before I was born.

Best regards,
i_like_1981